Formula 233 Registry

The premier site for owners of the famous 233.

Hey Folks,

Just bought a 233! I was told it was purchased new from the factory in 1972. Looks to be the F233 Standard model, looking at original sales literature. It seems very original. I would like to know anything folks can tell me about it. Just drove over to it in my CC Lancer... Jim Wynne lives!

I don't know exactly what the engine is but it is a Mercruiser outdrive. It looks like this model was offered with 3 different single-engine options with Mercruiser in that year, 160, 165, and 215 hp. What is this engine? Ford 302? 351? Is there a manual for this setup anywhere?

It has aluminum valve covers and intake manifold, says "Powered by Ford" but I cannot find any engine serial numbers or identification plate, etc. Looked all over. 

I'd appreciate any other advice; boat looks very solid and seems to have fiberglass and foamcore stringers, not the plywood stringers I have heard can be problematic. It does have a leak in the gas tank. Next steps as I see them are to take out the tank, and remove and grease the joints in the lower unit. What else?

And, hey, how come this one doesn't have that cool chrome thunderbird on the side??

I'm excited about the boat. Any advice welcome.Thanks for the great forum!

Views: 551

Reply to This

Replies to This Discussion

Emmet, nice looking Formula. I have the same year and model except mine has the twin 165hp Mercs. I got the boat from my dad after he passed away 5 years ago. The boat has sat for 12 years and last July I finally jumped into it and I am doing a full restoration. I have a blog on iboats. I guess I should start one here. I cant tell you what engine you may have. I know on my inline 6 Chevys they have a block number on the side of the block about 8 digits long. I took the number and went on Google and found a site that I could use the block number to ID the engine make, Cu Inch, year. You should be able to do the same with that engine. As far as my stringers and bulk head cores they were wood and some of them were in ok shape considering they were 43 years old. The bulkhead infront and behind the fuel tank weren't in good shape. The foam around the tank was saturated in water and fuel. By the way that is the only place you will find foam is completely around the fuel tank. The fuel tank was also shot. Aluminum tank with pin holes and pitting everywhere. I had a new smaller (67 gallon) aluminum tank built and when I installed it I did not use any foam. The front motor mount was a mulch filled fiberglass box but I couldn't tell until I removed the engines and cut the mount out of the boat. The four stringers were in ok shape but had the occasional rot here and there where ever the fiberglass didn't enclose the wood very well so I cut the off right where they go into the cabin and sistered the new stringers at that point. The transom seemed solid but when I cut the skin away and started removing the wood I found it was rotting in several spots and again I couldn't tell until I got into it. I have to admit that during those 12 years it sat in the open uncovered at my moms house, the plug was out and the front jacked way up so no standing water. Hopefully yours was taken care of a little better and is in better shape. When it was running we used the boat often here in Panama City, Florida from when we bought it in about 1990 until the starboard engine blew in about 2002.     

Here are some before pics if they will load correctly

Attachments:

RSS

Badge

Loading…

© 2024   Created by David.   Powered by

Badges  |  Report an Issue  |  Terms of Service