Formula 233 Registry

The premier site for owners of the famous 233.

I have owned 3: Formulas prior to this one with the last being a '86 272 LS with twin 320 EFI SBC's on Alpha SS drives. I originally wanted to find and restore a '84-'86 272 but never could find the "right" boat. I have always admired the lines of the 255 Liberator so when this one became available I bought it.

The project boat is a 1979 Formula 255 Liberator that was built in the Decatur, IN plant …a fact revealed by its HN prefix having the “SGN” designation vs. “TNR” which is the Miami plant designation for that decade. Signa Boat Co. was Vic Porters old Company that he merged with Thunderbird Formula when Fuqua industries took control in the ‘70’s and Porter was president. Formula Deep V boats were built in Miami, Decatur, IL and Palo Alto, CA. The boat came to Ft. Lauderdale via Traverse City, MC around 2008 and I bought it in December 2010.. Some time in the early to mid ‘90’s the engines were replaced with what I later found out were automotive long blocks…more on that later.

I bought the boat “running with a very heavy home made steel trailer for $3500. After I purchased the boat I discovered that it had a bad gimbal bearing and transom assembly on the starboard side. I replaced the starboard TA with a good used one and ran the boat for about 6 months. It ran well enough…high 50’s..low 60’s depending on the load with 21” Stainless Cleavers. One afternoon I was cruising thru Pompano Beach in the ICW when I noticed the bilge pump running constantly…the water was hot!! I opened the hatch to find 4”-6” of hot water in the bilge and later found out that the port engine freeze plug above the starter had rusted through. That told me that I had automotive engines. Knowing that I was going to need to change all freeze plugs to brass and head gaskets to stainless on both engines, I pulled them both.

As things go sometimes with boats…I considered repowering while I had them both out. I kept my eye out for a pair of engines all the while educating myself as to the possibilities. I considered building 383 strokers from what I had but they were 2: bolt car blocks and lo flow truck heads. One night before bed I came across an ad in Craigslist for two 355 Vortec Roller Cam 4 bolt motors that were built by a reputable High Performance engine builder in Pompano Beach. These engines had been dynamometer tested at over 400 horsepower and were built for a client that never picked them up!!! I got up early and called the seller at 6 AM and met him at his shop at 9 AM. I saw the two engines and the parts list that went in them. These were long blocks with Marine Brass Lined intakes and no external accessories. They had built them under contract for an attorney for $10000…took a $5000 deposit and were asking $5K. I took them away for $4000 cash!!

OK…now I had two brand new 400 plus horse motors that none of my old accessories would fit…I had old “Log” style exhaust that was used that I wasn’t going to put on these engines and my flywheels wouldn’t fit the new one piece rear main cranks. This meant that my pre Alpha bell housings wouldn’t work and I was looking at up grading everything to new style Alpha. After consulting with many different people in the business…I figured Alpha’s wouldn’t hold up to the power and torque these engines were making…so I decided…got to go Bravo!! 

That was a HUGE decision…which meant that EVERYTHING related to power and propulsion changed. Not just for one engine but TWI N ENGINES/TWIN BRAVO upgrade!! Everything from the prop forward was new or near new. The cooling system had to be re –engineered …Bravo Drives have no water pump…so I decided to simplify things by going with crank mounted raw water pumps pulling through the drives. This saved a ton of time and money with brackets, hoses and pulleys for the traditional Mercruiser belt driven raw water pumps. This was a good decision and I must say the system works great!!

About this same time the steel trailer that I bought with the boat literally was falling apart. I was “Sucking up the seat covers” every time I left the driveway. The day I saw one of my trailer wheels pass me going down the highway I decided to call Willie at All American and have him build a custom 10,200 GTWR twin torsion axle aluminum bunk trailer with 4: wheel disc brakes for this boat….add $4500.

So now the hunt started for twin Bravo Transom Assemblies and Bravo I drives. Long story short…I got all of the stuff together in March of this year and started building everything. Once the motors were set up and running, Transom assemblies were in place…my team and I looked at the wiring in this 35 year old boat and decided “RE WIRE EVERYTHING”. So the boat got new engine harnesses and new helm to bilge harnesses along with all new gauges and switch panels. A new sending unit was required for the tank to match the new fuel gauge. A new steering cable was required to match up with the new steering ram (now on the port motor). There was then no way to have an internal tiller tie bar so the drive tie bar is really “THE TIE BAR”

I had along the way picked up a pair of McLeod Drop Out Bolsters from a 1992 Formula 292 SR-1 donor boat. I am slowly re working the cockpit and cabin with up grades.

This old Thunderbird Formula has literally been through a TOTAL MAKE OVER. It is a 1979 Formula Liberator hull being pushed through the water with a new modern propulsion system and new engines. The engines made 425 Horsepower at 5600 RPM on the dyno and we figure as installed we have close to 800 Horsepower in the water and 850 Ft Lbs of Torque.

So the question that gets asked all the time is “How does it run?”

Before the upgrade it struggled to get past 60 with no load. Now it will run 55-60 at 4500 RPM and pushes 75 GPS at 5400 RPM. This is with 23” Mirage props. It will run 35 MPH at 2000 RPM on plane!! This power package equals the Torque and produces 150 more total Horsepower than twin 330 horse 454’s will and weighs about 500 lbs less!! These engine are about 250 lbs lighter that the ones they replaced due to the difference in the exhaust manifolds. I have at this writing only put about 4-5 hours on it so I think it has room for improvement.

The question I ask my self is “Was it worth it?” In smiles per mile and the rush of acceleration when I push the throttles forward…a definite yes. In terms of economic feasibility…probably not. Including the original purchase price and the trailer I am right at $30K in to it. After interior and electronics it will push $35K. Consider though…it’s basically a new boat mechanically and with good care the propulsion system could easily find a home within a year or two in say a powerless Formula 292 FasTech or something similar. If I bought a entry level sport boat that performs as well as this one does I would easily spend more than twice what I have in this one and loose half of that value in the first two years.

I have met some great friends here on line and continue to enjoy the friends that I meet on the water. This project to me represents the core of the sport and serves as a reminder that anything can be done with good planning and attention to detail..

Views: 1496

Reply to This

Replies to This Discussion

I was back out this past weekend and was able to get a quick pic with my phone of the 255 running 35.2 at 2000 RPM.

My best calculations have this at a 7%-8% prop slip. This is VERY good for this combination. At this point I think the 23" Mirage Plus is the perfect prop for this boat as it is set up.

The speed is very sensitive to drive trim. At 4500 RPM a bit of trim out from neutral will push the GPS speed from 65 to over 70!! At that point I can open her up and see 75 and beyond. I have seen 78 briefly and feel that it will run 80 MPH if I didn't chicken out and back off!!

Formula offered this boat with twin 330 TRS/454's and would ship 420 horse TRS propulsion packages drop shipped to a Formula Dealer for installation into "Powerless" 255 Liberator hulls. Locals here in South Florida have told me that 255's equipped with twin 420/TRS's would run 85 MPH and run 65 with a 2000# "load". I am running close to that power and torque with about 500-600# less weight in the rear. I am adding Bennett 18" long dual strut "Super Tabs" next week which I think will settle down a bit of high speed "twitchyness" I have.

The boat does not chine walk at all. At 70 it feels like it is flying on the "pad" at the keel for the last 8' of the hull. The power is linear and smooth throughout. Acceleration is very strong out of the hole. I open the throttles about half way...the bow rises and I back off just enough to drop the bow. As soon as it falls over I nail the throttles and it takes off like "raped ape" ...pulling hard as long as I let it. I can back off at any speed under 70 and hold it with no strain at all....over 70 I have to push it but it doesn't take long for me to pull the reigns in on this old "'Bird"!!!...She wants to go!!

Hey Sprink- Great to see another oso'er hangin' out here!  Boat looks great! (figgered that was you when i read the title of the thread.)

John, that's one hell of a boat there !  Love the two small blocks especially for that price. So much of a better choice.  Love the custom aluminum trailer too.  Yea, its never good when your trailer wheels pass you.

That boat must THUNDER !

RSS

Badge

Loading…

© 2024   Created by David.   Powered by

Badges  |  Report an Issue  |  Terms of Service