Formula 233 Registry

The premier site for owners of the famous 233.

anybody can answer this for me,what is the best horsepower in diesels to go with for a 233? If single what do you suggest,if twin what do you suggest?

Views: 280

Reply to This

Replies to This Discussion

I would think the limiting factor would be the weight of diesels vs gas. My 233 has twin 350 CID Chevrolets so I would think the combined weight of those would give you a benchmark to begin with.
I repowered my 233 with a Yanmar 240. I use the boat commercially (about 600 hours/year), and economy is important. I matched the diesel to a Mercruiser 1x, and then a 2x. I like the Yanmar, but I have a couple of complaints. Noise is significant. THe Mercruiser mounting system to the outdrive is poorly engineered, and it has rounded the retaining nuts twice in 2500 hours. Milage is about 3.1 nautical miles to the gallon @ 26 knots.

If I had to do it again, I would be inclined to either use the new Yanmar outdrive, or go with Volvo. Yanmar parts are very expensive, and I found that their warranty backup is not very good. The efficiency is about 50% better than the 300 hp 5.7 liter gas option, so the payback is relatively quick if you are a heavy user.

Hope this helps.

Bob
What is the cruise and top speed out of your 240 Yanmar?
If you go to my photo,s you will see a formula called assult. This one belongs to a mate of mine and has a 315 yanmar and a bravo 2 mercruiser leg drive. You can see by the photo that the engine weight isn,t a problem and i,m sure the overall weight was slightly less than the old 330 mercruiser petrol engine. It cruises at 32mph for 40ltrs and tops out at close to 40mph. Hope this helps Dan C

RSS

Badge

Loading…

© 2024   Created by David.   Powered by

Badges  |  Report an Issue  |  Terms of Service