Formula 233 Registry

The premier site for owners of the famous 233.

I came across this posting in the Newhaven CT craigslist. Looks like a great deal for only 5K. No pictures of the engines though. They are listed as small block 235HP? Was that an option from formula? I was under the impression they were all the 260hp.

http://newhaven.craigslist.org/boa/4483008418.html

Views: 700

Reply to This

Replies to This Discussion

You are right if they are 350 cu.in. gm blocks. They also came with Volvo Penta. Ford engine blocks and Omc. There are also a lot of people that don't have a clue what there engine is. could be a 305 cu.in. motor. Two motors mean TWICE the fuel. Experience talking here. My first was a 68. It came stock with a six cycle. Mercruiser in it. I repowered with a 350 mercruiser with 260 horsepower. She ran about 45 mph. My third was equipped with twin 6cyl. Mercruiser.165 horses each. 330 total ponies. WOT.was 38 mph. Every hundred pounds of weight in a boat of this size equates to one mph. Of speed. 350 Magnus with overdrive and power trim is about a thousand lbs. Two is another thousand. You loose ten mph. Right off the bat for the extra weight plus another outdrive to plow through the water. Literally twice the fuel. Twice the maintenance. The 260 horsepower 350 mercruiser is your best option for performance. Fuel economy and maintenance.

Hi Chris.. Last 233 I owned had a single 350.. great boat. Just bought a 64 model with very low hour 130 mercs (repower) Stringers-transom in great shape.Cockpit sole shot along with spongy fwd deck. 

I am an old(very) boat builder and enjoy the project about as much as the finished item..

I plan on light as I can get..The deck coming out is teak on ply..New will be glass over ply.

The chine to waterline is about 3" at transom,so she is not loaded down with fat v8's..

In 64?? They claimed 43 mph with twin 110 Volvo;s I hope they were right.

It will be fun pulling out every pound I can, We will see what actual top is.

AS an old F8 driver who built nailvalve Buicks, I might tweek the 130.s or better yet how about a pair of 300# aluminum 215 Buicks??

In any event, I sold a 28 sportsman Donzi with twin modified 440's that turned 4800 pulling 16x16's..Great sea boat -fuel was a real problem, Hence my downsize to the little 4's.

When I test the lightened toy boat, I will advise.  Art Krause

It might sound cold but you will be better off shopping for a boat that someone else has already spent a fortune restoring. Shop hard and don't be embarrassed Ty o make an offer. A ssh king price is what the seller would like to get. Buying price for these boats will be much less. If you over pay when buying you will feel the pain thatmuch more when sselling.

RSS

Badge

Loading…

© 2024   Created by David.   Powered by

Badges  |  Report an Issue  |  Terms of Service