Formula 233 Registry

The premier site for owners of the famous 233.

I just bought my first boat. 1981 233 sportsman. It basically is in working condition but needs alot of tlc. The previous owner did not take very good care of her and what he did do was only make things worse.  It does run ok but has leaks of every fluid type in the engine bay.  Its always a dead giveaway when you find various bottles of trim fluid and power steering fluid stored in the boat.  The bilge is a mess. The power steering pump resevoir was totally dry after running the boat for a few hours on the lake for the first time. Also, I can smell an oil burning smell from the engine area while running. I keep getting water in the bildge during the use of the boat as well.  I have not had any time to really get down in there and get a look at things.  My questions are what is common to leak on the power steering system? It looks like a standard chevy pump on the engine. Should i just pull the engine and re seal everything? Is it hard to get to the power steering components. I am fairly knowledgeable with automotive repairs and am capable of performing any engine work. I just dont have any experience with i/o or the steering system for them.  If you all know of any good online resources from me to look at please let me know.

thanks!

Views: 172

Reply to This

Replies to This Discussion

Mike, I'm sorry but I don't know of any "common" ps problems.  I would look for the obvious things like lines and couplings.  A common problem with some older trim pumps are the O rings in the base of the pump.  If you don't use the correct O ring, they will work for a while then eventually crack and pump trim fluid into the bilge.  Possible that oil smell is from the valve cover/intake area, I'd check the valve cover bolts and make sure they are tight.  If they are, inspect that area as the gaskets may be bad.  Parts should be pretty easy to get.  Hope this gives you some ideas.

David

Thanks for the pointers David. I was able to spend some time on it last Sunday. I found a leak at the power steering pressure hose and also a leak at the bottom of the outdrive where all of the trim lines come together at a junction block.  After i spent some time cleaning everything up i could see what was going on. It appears that the valve cover gaskets are leaking a little as well.  I will be replacing the valve cover gaskets and all  of the p/s hoses and trim hoses.

Any idea why they put the crank case breather hoses routed up to the outside of the flame arrester on the carb? I dont understand why they dont just run a pcv sytem hose to manifold vaccuum.  

cheers,

Mike.

Sounds like you are making progress.  Not sure on the crankcase breather except simplicity.  David

RSS

Badge

Loading…

© 2024   Created by David.   Powered by

Badges  |  Report an Issue  |  Terms of Service