Formula 233 Registry

The premier site for owners of the famous 233.

Teak%20Slats.jpg Early 233's had (3) pieces of teak, approx. 23.5" long X 3/4" width on the port & starboard sides to step on when boarding..... I need (1)   

If you're doing a rehab & removing those teak pieces, I would be interested in buying them from you..... or at least (1).

I've added the above link to show a photo of what I'm looking for. 

Thx.!

Robert O.

Views: 285

Reply to This

Replies to This Discussion

Any luck on the teak strips? I have a 1972 Formula 190 and I have the same type of teak strips. Have you investigated have some made? If you have had some made, I would be interested to know progress.

What are the lengths, width and thickness of your stripes? Are they straight with an angle on the ends?

Thanks

Hi Randy....No luck yet! Strips are 23.5" long X 3/4" wide X 3/8" thick. Straight with angled ends. I think the guy who did my restoration in CT will probably be able to replicate one for me but I was hoping to get an original....I can't believe I actually lost 1 of the 6 pieces, I never throw anything out (ever) Lol, so I don't know how that happened! I'll let you know how i make out with this.

Thanks for the photo and additional details. The 1972 Formula 190 that I have has 4 teak strips per side and shorter than yours. Please let me know if you have any made. The strips I have are in rough condition and I will probably go with duplicating the originals.

Just curious, I also noticed your boat is a 1972. Do you know how to decider the serial number to gain more information. What, if any numbers are the year, month and model. Can you tell from the serial number what boat it was in the production year.

I am a little cunfued by the serial number .

Thanks again!

The code should be 12 digits, Month & Year should be the last 4 #'s. The actual year of my boat has always been a bit of a mystery. My hull code is only 8 digits which left off the 4 digit month & year. Hull numbers were not required until 11-1-72, so I'm guessing mine was built between 1970 & 1972 (1973 the design changed slightly). Based on brochure & other photos showing the helm pod & other clues, I'm pretty sure mines a 1972. You can get more info on this @ www.boatsafe.com

I'll let you know how I do with the teak! 

Thanks for the great information. I have struggled with the serial number as well and know my boat is a 1972 because the Formula 190 model like mine was only built in 1972. My serial number is only 7 digits and was the earliest style when all the builder did was a put a dymo label on the mold. When they used this method and it is viewed on the hull the numbers were reversed. It is difficult to read backwards and I pressed some silly putty over the serial number, peeled it off and you can read it correctly. My number is F191226.

Do you have the same type serial number imprinted on your transom? I plan to check out the website for more information on the serial number.

I will also keep you posted if I find a source for the teak step strips.

Yup!  F2312381 

I tried to find out more info from the factory, but I was told that due to a major fire years ago there was No information available on my hull. You might find out the same thing with regards yours?

I forgot to ask? I noticed you changed the out drive and your identification plate listed the engine as a Mercruiser 888. Did you still use the same engine or replace?

My Formula 190 came with a Mercruiser 888 and the drive line was missing when I got the boat. Actually my boat came from a boat boneyard and I was lucky to save it with the majority of unique hardware and parts still in the boat. I plan to restore at some point after I get a few uncompleted projects finished.

These projects always take longer and more costly than expect.

Yeah, Mine got saved from the junkyard too....& I'm all in! I did a full rehab, practically everything has been replaced. New motor (5.7 Mercruiser V8) with a Bravo 3 Drive, boat flies! I got pretty carried away & still have a few more things to do, I guess it might never be done.... but it's best riding boat I've ever had!

Well worth the effort!

Sounds like it was a well engineered restoration and you have saved another classic Formula from a future generation. These boats were tough and awesome riding. Enjoy!

Interesting that your serial number has 8 digits and mine has 7 digits.

I also contacted Formula and they initially tried to convince me the Formula 190 was not authentic and they thought it was an imposter.. After a great deal of searching I located a 1972 Formula Brochure that I sent to Formula and they were enlightened. They posted the brochure on their website for other 1972 Formula owners to enjoy.

RSS

Badge

Loading…

© 2024   Created by David.   Powered by

Badges  |  Report an Issue  |  Terms of Service