Formula 233 Registry

The premier site for owners of the famous 233.

Handy, but still finding my way around marine engines. I have always i.e. 2 years, had my engine winterized... this year I'd like to give it a try. Step by step how do I accomplish this task? All help will be appreciated.

Wil

Views: 278

Reply to This

Replies to This Discussion

Don't have winterizing advice, but I'd like to see any detailed interior photos you have. My interior is gutted and I'm getting ready to redo it. Just looking for ideas.

Thanks,
Steve
Wil,

You need to get RV antifreeze, engine fogging spray, CRC, gear lube, fuel stabilizer, plastic wrap, duct tape. I rigged up a 5 gallon fuel tank with about 5' of hose and a shutoff valve attached to engine muffs. Here is what I do:

Fill fuel tank and add fuel stabilizer
Run engine to operating temperature using muffs and water supply.
Change engine oil & filter
Change gear lube in drive.
Remove spark arrester.
Put 3 gallons of RV antifreeze in the 5 gallon tank and position above engine.
Attach engine muffs (the ones attached to the antifreeze)
Start engine
Open shut off valve to allow antifreeze to circulate
Watch the level of antifreeze and as you near the end begin engine fogging. If you can stall engine with engine fog that's great, if not fog it until anti freeze runs out then stop engine.
Replace spark arrester
Make sure drives are down.
If you have access to engine/exhaust petcocks open them and drain. (be sure to close them or mark them so you close them when you summerize)
Some people remove plugs and oil cylinder walls
Remove batteries.
Spray engines with CRC
Lubricate steering cables and linkage.
When this is all done I put plastic over spark arrester and exhaust outlets and tape off. This keeps moisture out of engine.
I think that is a pretty good outline. A Mercruiser Service manual will also give you the procedure. Main thing is to make sure you don't leave raw water in engine or drives.
Thanks David, I did read the mercruiser repair manualwhich pretty much parelelled your desciption. I used your advise except the manual suggested that drain all the seacocks and petcocks fisrt, and pour the anti-freeze from the engine via the hoses as apposed to drawing the anti-freeze thru the seawater intake impeller.

Wil
Yes, and that is the preferred method.

RSS

Badge

Loading…

© 2024   Created by David.   Powered by

Badges  |  Report an Issue  |  Terms of Service